Toddlers walking to 3 years
The first three years of life is considered the most fundamental for human development as it lays the foundation for human intelligence, social skills, joy in learning, curiosity, trust and problem solving. At this age, children's minds are compared to that of a sponge, absorbing whatever is in the environment effortlessly. Dr Montessori discovered that while a toddler, a young child has a special aptitude for learning certain things, namely:
- A sensitivity to order - providing the opportunity to build on that interest to establish good habits that last a life-time
- A sensitivity to adsorb language from his environment
- An eagerness to learn to take care of himself, to become independent
In the toddler environment, the children are gradually introduced to the toddler Montessori materials while engaging in activities from the curriculum, all within a nurturing and beautiful environment where children
Areas of Toddler Environment Curriculum Include:
- Art: Painting, drawing, or working with age appropriate crafts - teaching children basic skills like controlling a brush and paint, cleaning up, working on paper, using coloured pencils etc.
- Music and Movement: includes cultural exploration, auditory discrimination, learning to sing, the use of the Montessori Bells, and music appreciation leading to self-expression while refining fine motor skills
- Language: introduction to words and vocabulary through the use of specifically designed Montessori materials.
- Mathematics: introduction to basic counting through the rote method
- Practical Life: developing new skills to master executive functions at the most basic level: spooning exercises, pouring liquids, care of the environment - dusting, sweeping etc., care of person - dressing frames
- Sensorial: specifically designed exercises to develop and master the senses